David is an aeronautical engineer with the Civil Aviation Authority, previously with the RNZAF working at Ohakea on the military jets. The Fraser is the result of David’s father deciding that he would reincarnate their 1929 Model A. Idle hands, spare cash (although not enough!!), and a supporting partner saw an immediate visit to the Fraser factory and delivery of the chassis in November 1996.
Donor parts were collected over the next several months with the plan to have as many of the parts available before assembly. Various parts came from the Triumph Herald, Ford Cortina, Toyota MR2, Toyota Sprinter, and Nissan Cefiro. Where new parts were used, such as steering wheel, gauges, and wipers the highest spec was used to keep the car as near to the factory ‘Mark II’ currently being sold complete. It has a space frame chassis, alloy, inboard front suspension and a De Dion rear end
The only unknown in the system is the dry sump set up which uses a ‘Toms’ pump modified by David to run off the main cam belt. A one-off set up with its own story.
The car has been kept deliberately understated with little chrome and lots of powder coating, although the car is painted in the reverse Lotus colours of yellow with a green stripe. Grey leather upholstery, five point harnesses, and black Euro-fabric torneau and roof finish the car.